« Home | Perks of the job and moving day » | Didn't we just do this??? » | ONE YEAR » | Things Left Unsaid » | In Loving Memory... » | Exciting, thrilling, new, and answers to prayer... » | just bragging... » | It happened again... » | Lovin' Life » | The Latest... »

Making an Impact

B and I were talking the other day about some of the things that mattered to us as kids. The things which had the greatest impact or something we remember to this day as clear as the day it happened. He talked about how one of his fondest memories was when his dad would take him for 25 cent icecream at McDonald's. How it was the biggest deal b/c to B that was so much money but as he looks back on it he and his dad created a memory for 50 cents. It got me thinking about all the things I do remember from my childhood. Here's what I came up with. We had all kinds of plaques and artwork on the walls around the house but the ones I will never forget are the 2 which read: The family who prays together stays together and...The will of God will never lead you where the grace of God cannot keep you. Even though my whole childhood my dad wasn't a Christ follower my mother was such a prayer and I know this is what pulled us through in life. In every situation the second saying rings in my ears as a constant reminder of God and His grace in my life. Ok, so those are somewhat spiritual memories, here are some "normal" ones. Every year on my birthday we would go to Baskin Robbins for our free b-day icecream cone and I remember being fascinated there were 31 flavors and only ever ordered chocolate. Going to Dunkin' Donuts on a Saturday afternoon or evening for donut holes and again eating only the chocolate ones. Bar-be-ques in the back yard in the summer and cleaning up after dinner every night as fast as we could so we could all sit down as a family and watch back to back episodes of Mash. I think the point I am getting at is this: I don't ever remember some major purchase involving enormous sums of money being the highlight of my childhood. It was just being together as a family and soaking up the true meaning of togetherness. I am already realizing it is just the little things that mean so much to my kids. After taking them to the park or to get icecream or Starbucks I will hear it recited on at least 10 different occasions about what they got and how cool it was to go there. What they picked and why they picked it. I know they have talked about other things they have gotten but honestly there is nothing that makes me smile more than when I hear them say "Mommy, thank you for taking us to get icecream." Just the fact they are so appreciative simply of icecream or a trip to the park makes me want to give them the world.

Links