« Home | sick » | FUN, FUN, FUN! » | How to observe Thanksgiving » | S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Hey! (Bay City Rollers Rock! Pilla... » | is it any wonder?? » | All work and no play...makes Rachel a cry baby. » | It's all about me?!?! » | Cooking with Daddy » | God's Masterpiece! » | OPEN FOR BUSINESS! »

PLEEEASE!

So, my sickness thing took a turn yesterday. That whole knife feeling when I swallowed changed into just a raw sore throat, head congestion and lots of drainage which of course also makes you feel nautious. I took the advice of several caring people and stayed home from work yesterday and stayed in bed. Today I am back at work, thanks for your prayers.

Anyway, the reason for this post is my oldest son. He has had a rough ride lately. Self-inflicted of course. He has been grounded from everything for like 6 weeks b/c he failed to turn in any of his math homework for the first nine weeks of school and got caught lying. This is a kid that all his teachers rave about. He is an A student when it comes to class work and tests but for some reason couldn't get the homework thing together b/c he was more focused on girls and hang time with his friends. You know I love this kid so much and am not going to let him suck in school when he has such unbelievable potential. We have had so many conversations about how I am fighting for him and I am on his side and I will do anything to help him but he has to make the right choices and tell me when assignments are due so I can help him. Not do it for him but help him. Okay, so you would think after 10 or so conversations like this and having no privileges for 6 weeks he would have it down. Not so. Last night I happened to say so when is part 2 of your History project due? And he was like oh yeah next Wednesday. And, I have to admit, I lost it. Wouldn't you? I wasn't yelling or anything but I was very passionate telling him that I can't keep doing this, that I am doing everything in my power to help him succeed and isn't he tired of not having a life and tired of having these conversations and on and on and he starts to cry. Well, so do I. My heart hurts. I love this kid so much and want him to be a success and I am begging him to tell me what I can do. But he has to make the choice to help himself. He went to bed upset and I cried and cried. There should be a support group for mom's of middle schoolers. So, I went to bed. I laid there and prayed and asked God to intervene and give me wisdom to say the right thing and you know what the Lord showed me? You probably know what I am going to say. He told me that this is the kind of thing that happens all the time with people. That God is sitting there begging us to make the right choices and that He is there all the time waiting to help us, wanting to help us and we break His heart daily b/c we don't make the right choices and we turn to each other before we turn to Him who has all the answers.

I am of the mindset that it is the parents job to make them do the right thing. Am I being too hard on my son? Please, if anyone has any advice I am very teachable.

Links