« Home | My Beautiful Momma » | Lonely? » | Stress Relief » | dippin' dots and OSU » | a blog about "NOTHING" » | Good-bye Stokes Family, you will be missed! » | Ben Stein » | What's your purpose? » | East West » | Katelyn Paige Nance »

a friend in need

Well, last week was sort of draining. I thought I would honor mom's memory and then back to business as usual. I was so wrong. My friend Scott Hodge lost his father/mentor/best friend very suddenly last week. As I began to read all the things his father was to him I was so drawn to Scott because I know the horrific pain and loss he is feeling. My mother was also my best friend, mentor and confidant. I found myself reeling from my loss all over again. This is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Although they are gone and you will never "see" them again on this earth, the reality takes months to really sink in. Scott mentioned in a blog how he walked by his father's office to say Hi and he wasn't there. I remember those feelings of going to pick up the phone, even dialing the number and then suddenly realizing Oh my gosh, never again can I do this. This makes you feel like you can't breathe. You find yourself unable to fully comprehend or grasp the concept that your loved one is truly gone. It really is a mind-numbing experience. Although Scott (and his family) and I are not close at all this terrible tragedy gives you an instant connection that no one else could even possibly understand. It's comforting somehow. I really can't explain what I mean but I pray you never have to experience these overwhelming feelings.

This blog is not totally depressing. For my voice lessons I have begun work on a new song and I am sure you all know it. "It is Well with my Soul" As I have been working on getting it right (I just started yesterday) the words have really struck a chord in my heart. Especially since the author lost more than just one person at one time. His whole family was wiped out, yet he still managed to say "IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL." The reason, his faith in God. We have to know despite how things look that He always has a bigger plan and through our faith in Him He will help us through all these times that seem completely hopeless. Now, I am not saying that I got this one the first time. For those of you who have walked this road with me you know I am far from the end. However, I am better and each day I think I am one day closer to being with my mother again. And since we are on the subject of friends, I want to take this moment to publicly thank all of you who have been there on this journey with me. You know who you are. Scott will need alot of people on his journey too. I personally plan on being on that road with him, if to only pray. From someone who has been there, please remember once all the services are over and it's back to business as usual for you Scott and his family are still in great pain. And will be. Take a moment to ask, pick up the phone, send a card, whatever you feel in your heart. They will need all the encouragement they can get over the next few months.

Links